The Tamil community worldwide celebrates the holiday of Vaikasi Visakam. The Tamil New Year, or Vaikasi Visakam, occurs during the Visakam Nakshatra of the Vaikasi month and is celebrated as the birthday of Lord Muruga.
Muruga, or Lord Muruga, is Lord Shiva and Parvati’s second son. Lord Murugan, in the shape of blazing fire, emerged from Lord Siva’s third eye. The heat of the fire was so intense that even the gods had to cool the sparks off in the river. The river’s name is Saravana Poigai, and it’s the one responsible for splintering the spark into six pieces. The “karthigai Pengal” (heavenly maidens) nurtured each spark as it took human form and became a kid. The children were subsequently united by Goddess Parvati into a single male kid, Lord Muruga, who is endowed with twelve hands and six faces.
Vaikasi Visakam Date and Muhurat 2023
2 June 2023 – Friday
Visakam Nakshathram Begins – 05:55 AM on June 2, 2023
Visakam Nakshathram Ends – at 05:54 AM on June 3, 2023
Rituals Performing on Chitra Pournami
- The worshipers will take a shower first thing in the morning, then hang a picture of Lord Murga in their homes and surround him with flowers. Devotees of Lord Muruga present him with fruit as an offering.
- Adi Sankara’s Subramanya Bhujangam is chanted by the devotees.
- Lord Murugan is appeased with a delicious treat called Pongal. There is also the recitation of hymns like Saint Arunagirinathar’s Thirupughazh and the Kanda Sashti Kavasam.
- Lord, please accept these six flowers of Nagalinga and red oleander. It is widely held that those who pray to Lord Muruga on this day would be blessed beyond their wildest dreams.
- It’s one of the main festivals at Lord Murugan’s shrines. The festivities are held on a grand scale and with great pomp and solemnity, and people from all over travel to the temples to take part.
Benefits of Celebrating Vaikasi Visakam
- Cleans up the household by clearing up misunderstandings and conflicts
- Brings harmony to the home and strengthens the marriage.
- The Almighty serves as an amulet, shielding his followers from harm.
- Provides children for families and helps expand a family tree.
- Brings back joy, and makes sure everyone in the family is on the same page
Significance of Vaikasi Visakam 2023
The gods had a lot of problems thanks to the demons Surapadma, Tarakasura, and Singamugha. The gods eventually went to see Lord Shiva for aid. As the legend goes, Agni and Vayu brought six flaming sparks from Lord Shiva’s third eye all the way to the Ganges. The fire was then transported to Saravana Pond.
The six embers became six infants, which Goddess Parvati then hugged to merge into a single being. And it was Lord Muruga or Lord Kartika who put an end to the demons. Muruga has six different expressions, each of which represents a different aspect of the creative, conserving, destroying, revolutionary, supremely gracious, and fundamentally wise process.
READ THIS ALSO – Chitra Pournima 2023 Date, Time, Rituals, and Significance